FINGERPRINT ANALYSIS AND CRIMINAL TRACING SYSTEM (FACTS)
The Central Finger Print Bureau, better known by the acronym CFPB among the law enforcement agencies of the country, came into existence in the year 1955. It fulfilled a long cherished requirement of law enforcement agencies throughout the country as a nodal agency to effectively deal in Inter-State nature of Criminal enquiries by tracing/locating Inter-State criminals, and, Standardization, Modernization and Coordination of Fingerprint Bureaux. A need was felt to computerise finger print records at State and National headquarters for effective maintenance of records and coordinating Crime of inter-state and inter-national criminals.
WHAT IS FACTS
FACTS is an advanced Automated Fingerprint Identification System. It uses image processing and pattern recognition technique to capture, encode, store and match finger prints including comparison of Chance Prints.
OBJECTIVES OF FACTS
- To maintain and computerize finger print record slips of specified categories of Indian and foreign criminals convicted of offences falling under the schedule of crimes as mandated for CFPB
- To conduct search of references relating to unidentified interstate suspected persons received from police stations and other investigating agencies in India and to search chance prints developed at the scene of crime.
- To maintain and computerize the fingerprint records of International criminals and to conduct search of references sent by Interpol Division of CBI, New Delhi
FACILITIES PROVIDED BY FACTS
- Database creation
- Identification oriented query
- a. Ten print to ten print searches
- b. Chance print to ten print searches
- c. Ten print to Chance print search
- d. Chance print to Chance print search
- Remote Query Processing
- Creation of Criminal Attribute Database
FACTS - DATA FLOW
CFPB has a database of 12,07,152 ten-digit Finger Print slips as on 30/11/2018.
- Upgrading software for improvised working and increasing storage capacity to store 30-35 lakhs of Finger / Palm Print records.
- Maintaining a photo gallery of criminals for identification
- Establishing nationwide connectivity of Finger Print Bureaux for On-line processing of queries and records from Police station, District and State level.
- Database sharing among Police/Judiciary/Prisons/ Administrative agencies etc by linking Fingerprint database with that of CCTNS for efficient tracking of crime and criminals.